Student Travel Grants

Travel, Research, and Educational Experience (TREE) Grants

The Association for Fire Ecology (AFE) administers the distribution of the Joint Fire Sciences Program (JFSP) TREE grant, which is designed to help graduate students travel to present at conferences, symposia, and workshops related to wildland fire science and management.

Who can apply?

Registered graduate students in the U.S. in good academic standing in a field related to wildland fire science, ecology, or management.

Grants can only be awarded to students who are planning to present the results of their fire-related research at the conference. If you did not submit an abstract during the call for proposals, there is still an opportunity to add your presentation as a poster. The process for submitting your poster abstract is included in the grant application.

This grant is for students without other Joint Fire Science Program support.

What can the travel grant pay for?

Grants may fund all or a portion of estimated travel expenses including transportation, lodging, registration fees, and presentation preparation costs, where applicable.

Funds cannot be used for food and incidentals, student stipends, direct research costs, or faculty research/administration costs.

Grants typically range from $250 to $650, and will be paid as reimbursements for submitted receipts after the conference.

How do I apply?

Complete the online application at

You will need to provide contact and degree information, your CV/resume, an emailed recommendation from your advisor (details on application form), and your budget request. If you did not submit an abstract during the Call for Proposals, then you will also need your information for the poster proposal including the title, abstract, presenter bio, topic and keywords, and additional authors.

All required information, including the advisor recommendation, is due by March 23, 2018. Decision notifications will be sent to applicants by April 20, 2018.


To update a submitted application, for questions on your grant request, or for more information, contact Annie Oxarart at